Friday, December 23, 2011

Project 14: Air Plant Hanging Jars

I've seen this item a few times online.  I've always thought it looked cool and thought I'd give it a shot.  The toughest part was finding the jar to use that would hang from a string.  I already had the air plants and now I just had to figure out how to get a hole drilled into the ceramic glazed jar. You definitely need a high powered drill and a drill bit equipped for masonry. It takes some time to drill through the ceramic - be warned!

Supplies Used:
Air plants
Hot glue gun
Cord
Small Container/jar
Power drill

I drilled through the bottom of the jar slowly - it took about 10 - 15 minutes to finally get through it.  I had to put water  on the center of the jar to help keep the drill bit cool as I worked to drill the hole.  The key is taking your time!

 I tied a knot on one end once I pulled the cord through the jar to allow it to hang.  I then hot glued the air plant to the cord.  I'm sure there is a more sophisticated way to do that. hahaha

No comments: