Sunday, December 4, 2011

Project 3: Glass Magnets

I love making magnets and this is one of my favorite type to make.  It's relatively easy to do.

Supplies Used:
Clear Decorative Glass Stones
Mod Podge
Paint Brush
Magazine
Circle Punch
Neodymium Magnets
X-acto Knife
Strong Jewelry Glue


I like a circle punch that allows you to see what your cutting.  You can then scan through magazines for cool things to punch out.   Once you have all of your circles cut out you can put a dab of mod podge on the back of the stone and press the cut out on the glass.  Press firmly to make sure it holds in place and that there are no air bubbles.  Set to the side to dry (at least 30 minutes).

While the stones are drying you can prepare the magnets. I have seen this project done with the big bulky black magnets but I don't like those magnets. Neodymium magnets are thinner and MUCH stronger.  I like to score the back of the magnets with an X-acto knife because it allows the magnet to hold the glue better.  I used jewelry glue that holds metal and glass.  I let the glue set over night. Keep in mind not to have the magnets too close together - the will attract each other :0) 

BONUS TIP:  The magnets are so strong that if you let them cure with the magnet side up on a metal surface they will stay in place.


No comments: